For people that love their jobs, the work is easy – finding those people, is hard. We’re actively searching for Design Leads who are eager to work in an inclusive environment that praises initiative, curiosity, and critical thinking. At Schylling, opportunities outweigh boundaries and we’re seeking toy designers ready to join a team that values your ideas, encourages collaboration, and prioritizes project ownership. Schylling is an award-winning toy company that has been putting smiles on the faces of children, and children-at-heart, for over 40 years. We are in a historic old mill in the charming and idyllic New England town of North Andover, MA. At Schylling we have a deep appreciation for toys and product development. This is a home where you can draw upon our collective years of experience, playing, designing, and bringing ideas to life. Even our President has a design background and works very closely with our creative team, although this key position reports to our Vice President of Product Development.
We have a clear vision on our team but we’re also looking for individuals that challenge our conventions as we continually transform the way we work. If this speaks to you as a designer, as a professional, and more importantly as a human being, then we should talk. We’re really looking forward to it.
- BA or BS in Toy Design, Industrial Design.
- +8 years of professional design experience with a toy or children’s products company.
- Demonstrated design experience in the development of products in the toy or children’s product category.
- Solid drawing and rendering skills using sketchbook pro and photoshop. Strong 2D visual communication skills required – should be comfortable drawing on a Cintiq tablet with Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop, or similar.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit with a business-oriented mindset.
- Passion for toys and children’s products is essential to be effective in the role.
- Strong knowledge and interest in toy industry trends, leading brands, products, and what’s emerging.
- Experience with daily manufacturing partner communication.
- Proficient in all phases of design process – preliminary, development and production.
- A desire to collaborate with a team and appreciate the benefits of that experience.
- Have the passion to keep up with new creative trends.
- Be a driving force and part of the team responsible for new ideation.
- Lead all aspects involving the design of a set project load of Schylling products from initial product strategy, ideation, product design & engineering execution to final production.
- Carry a dedicated load of projects and be the driving force to lead the planning and necessary problem solving for producing product concepts.
- Create design concepts, 3D models, 3D printed prototypes, drawings and specifications that provide clear and precise direction for manufacturing and production.
- Coordination of communicating all specifications and design files to effectively lead the engineering initiatives with overseas manufacturing partners, ensuring development goals are clearly understood and achieved.
- Work with team leads in managing schedules to ensure on-time delivery of products.
Schylling offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with an 80% company contribution, company-paid life and disability insurance, PTO and at least 9 paid holidays, product discount, and a two-year cliff vesting 401k with weekly company match and eligibility after 30 days.